23 March 2007

Well, I've been a little busy.

Here's a brief run-down of what I've got going:

I'm finishing up a treatment for a couple of producers. It's a horror film set in Wisconsin, and I'm having an absolute blast devising horrible ways to kill people off. MWA HA HA! (On a side note, the school psychologist who "examined" me when I was six years-old told my parents that I would someday be either of great benefit or great detriment to society. Guess which direction I'm leaning to with this project! MWA HA HA!)

I am directing a main stage show at my theatre company, Write Act Rep. The play is Juana by renaissance man Paul Casey, the story of "Juana la Loca" the mad queen who ruled half the world. Paul has dedicated a significant portion of his life to telling Juana's story. Was she a schizophrenic who went into violent psychotic episodes, or the victim of a patriarchal conspiracy set on snatching away her power? It's an incredible piece, and I feel very fortunate to have been trusted with such an epic story.

Juana will feature a cast of live actors and 25+ puppets (think "Julie Taymor" with a large dose of "Bread and Puppet Theatre,") multi-media elements, and one crazed director who makes a habit of biting off more than he can comfortably chew. I'm working on a director's analysis at this point, and hope to have a first design meeting in a couple of weeks.

Torrid Affaire will be read at Write Act on the 27th of this month. I'm hoping it can be rushed into production late this summer. It's a simple play, easily mountable given a month of rehearsal time.

In addition to all of the above, I am trying to work on some other writing projects (have to keep putting the future there!) I've been tapped for a couple of readings, and I'm seeking employment alternatives. Preferably industry related because, hey, I didn't move to Los Angeles to become an insurance salesman. (So if anyone of the fourteen people who read this have any juicy leads, call me!)

So there's the summary of what's what at present. I hope it explains why I haven't blogged in a month, and why I've postponed any forward motion on Disembodied Animal Head Theatre and Up To Bat until sometime in April.

("The Felties" is dead in the water at present. To be honest, I'm tempted to put the whole damn thing (rights, puppets, etc.) on eBay. I just don't think anyone would bid on it!)

No comments: