Opening weekend has come and gone for Tracing Sonny, with three weeks left in the run. I would have been happier with a longer run, but the economics of doing theatre on the small scale is an ass-kicker. We need to wrap up our IRS tax-exempt paperwork posthaste, so we can begin reeling in juicy grants and sponsorships. The silver-lining to taking our time is that we've amassed an incredible body of work over the past year and a half that we can point to when applying for the big bucks. The list is impressive:
Theatre Unleashed - "mainstage" productions since founding:
- What We Should Have Said: An Evening of One Acts for Los Angeles
- The Tempest
- Pin-Up Girls
- The Way of the World
- Tales of an Unsettled City: Beginnings
- Tracing Sonny
- Tales of an Unsettled City: Encounters
- Theatre Unleashed Presents: Theatre Unleashed! Featuring Theatre Unleashed
- Dead Beat Poet Society: 80's Night
- The Holidays Unleashed!
- Die Gruppe in "Last Night's Appetizers"
- Die Gruppe in "Kiss My Butt"
- Acting Our Age
- The World's Smallest Renaissance Faire
- All in the Timing
- 4.48 Psychosis
- Landscaping the Den of Saints
- Tales of an Unsettled City: [to be named]
- Friends Like These
- Something Awesome Animated Short Fest
- Untitled Halloween event
- Untitled Winter fundraiser
I'm reminded of that episode of the Simpsons, where the yellow-skinned family is trodding through Africa and Bart and Lisa keep repeating, "Are we insane yet? Are we insane yet? Are we insane yet?" in a sing-song, "Are we there yet?" fashion.
Fairly insane, yes.