29 July 2007

I'm posting this a bit late, but I need to give props where props are due.

I think the world of my wife. She's the coolest person I know, and she has certainly had a positive influence on me. Finding her all those years ago was like locating something I didn't know I had lost.

On Saturday the 21st of July, 2007 Pamela made her onstage debut in a burlesque show. The show was the culmination of a full day spent in San Bernardino, California. Pamela enrolled in burlesque workshops during the day (while I read Harry Potter) and performed that evening.

This was also my first time to see live Burlesque performed in the traditional fashion (ala Gypsy Rose Lee, Sally Rand, etc.) We have been to the El Cid to watch the Hollywood Pin-up Girls in their Super Sexy Show, but that's more of an homage to Bob Fosse.

Pamela's new found interest in this field, plus a play I'm working on has resulted in much research. We've watched quite a bit of burlesque on video, from the overly Hollywood-ized (Gypsy) to old stag reels (The "Something Weird" series.)

Nothing compares to the real thing, live. Burlesque is a perfect theatrical artform; really pay attention to a well done burlesque routine, and you'll learn everything you need to know about how to stage a play.

Okay, back to Pamela. I know the girl's got moves. She's been a dancer as long as I've known her, and I've seen her dance. Heck, I danced with her for a ballroom dance infomercial! Well she completely surpassed my expectations when she took the stage (along with her workshop mates) Saturday before last.

She's awesome!

No comments: