27 December 2007



My Failed Experiment

So I opened a Revver account back in April. I thought "Wow! What a great opportunity to make a little moolah off of my crappy puppet videos!" As you can see from the cropped screen grab, I've made not enough moolah for a cup of coffee. That's depressing.

What's worse, MySpace blocks Revver links and imbeds. So I can't even put my crappy video on my MySpace page.

So I went ahead and uploaded Season 2 Episode 1 ("The Tempest") to YouTube last night. This morning, I have a comment from one of my YouTube subscribers: "Hooray! Disembodied Animal Head Theatre returns!" Keep in mind, I posted this video back in April of this year on Revver.

I'm sure there's a lesson here of some sort, something to do with building an online community. If I were Seth Godin, I'd probably have something pithy to say.

Instead, all I can say is ... Yes. Disembodied Animal Head Theatre has returned. And I'm sorry it ever left.

3 comments:

Asi said...

Until recently, Revver wasn't really a place to "upload and forget about it" - we built our tools and network to help you promote and build your own brand, but our own portal was geared more towards those tools and supporting our sharers and creators than it was towards a video viewing experience.

We've recently started changing that, adding comments and other features designed with the video consumers *and* creators in mind to our Revver.com site.

While our core competency is still our network building tools (we have the best video API in the industry), we'll be spending the coming months beefing up our portal presence to help drive traffic to your videos and augment the traffic you drive to the videos yourself.

We've still got a ways to go, but give Revver a shot again and I think you'll be pleased, a lot has changed since April.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance,

Asi Behar
VP, Software Engineering - Revver

Andrew Moore said...

Well, at the very least I'm impressed by how fast your PR and marketing machine works.

I have nothing against Revver. It is very easy to use, and I did make $1.12 off of my crappy puppet videos. I'm not planning on closing up shop any time soon.

At the same time, I failed to take into consideration what a change it would be for people who enjoy my videos to check Revver instead of YouTube. I embed these videos over at daht.blogspot.com. That is supposed to be the portal for DAHT content. As I've discovered the DAHT consuming 'public', if you will, is used to getting the DAHT content from YouTube directly, on a subscription basis.

In other words, it's not you, it's me.

I suppose I could avail myself of the tools you mention. Something that would be a HUGE help would be the ability to embed on MySpace. I'm not sure what the problem is, what politics are at play, but it's a pain in the old keister.

Thanks for your comment, Asi!

Asi said...

Heh. I'm less the mkt/PR machine and more the hopelessly addicted web nerd :).

I hear you on the MySpace thing - they seem intent on making sure their users can't earn money in their environment.

We wrote a blog post about how to fully whitelabel the flash player here - which will have the added bonus of getting past the Revver ban.

There are some simpler options as well, such as splitting the word "revver" in the embed across two lines.

These tricks won't get the ads working on MySpace, but they'll at least get you working video.