21 November 2008



Right Where I Want to Be

As we enter the final weekend, I would like to take a moment and reflect on what we (meaning Theatre Unleashed, and my cast and crew) have accomplished.

Five months ago, I sat down in front of my laptop and cranked out a first draft. Two and a half months ago, we began rehearsals. A month ago, we opened. In less than half a year, an original work has grown from one guy sitting in front of a computer to an organism composed of dozens of people, each one contributing to telling the same story.

The amount of hard work, sacrifice, dedication and commitment that has gone into this thing has tremendous value, and it is an investment that has paid off in spades. Reviews in major publications, sold-out performances, offers of further work -- but most important, delighted audiences.

No production is without its drama. What is incredible to me is that this show has had only one source of "drama," and she has thankfully kept her nonsense on the margins. The rest have comported themselves with the utmost professionalism and esprit de corps. I would work with any one of them again, and look forward to it.

I hope it isn't too narcissistic of me to say this, but I am pleased to find myself doing what I want to do in life, and succeeding at it. I feel blessed. I feel enriched by the experience. The success of Pin-Up Girls has stoked up the fire in my belly, and I can't wait to do this all again!