28 September 2008

The internet can be a real bitch sometimes.

Back in the early 90's, back when MTV played music, there was a little show on called "120 Minutes." Back in the day, this was the first place you'd see Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails and a little power trio called Nirvana before their cross-over into the mainstream. It was also a clearing house for all sorts of cool stuff you've never heard of, like Mary's Danish, and stuff you probably wish you had never heard of, like Julian Cope (I'm looking at you, Pammy!)

There's a band I saw once on 120 Minutes -- once -- and the song stuck with me. The band's name was eleven.

Well, have you ever tried Googling a word like "eleven?" Forget it. But tonight I got wise, and did an Amazon music search for the name. And voila ... Eleven.

And hey ... they rock. The song I remember was rather "pansy ass" for lack of a better expression. I did a bit of digging, and what did I discover?

A few things: Eleven backed up Chris Cornell on his first solo album. The band's bass player/keyboardist was Natasha Shneider of Queens of the Stone Age. And she died of cancer this year.

Sometimes the internet really sucks.