13 December 2005

Why "Buckaroo Bonzai"?

I was home sick. It was summertime in Chicago. Flipping through channels, fate shined upon me and I landed on TBS just as The adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across the 8th Dimension was starting. Maybe it was the fever, maybe the ennui of being trapped indoors on a beautiful day, but I knew that I had found my calling. I wanted to be Buckaroo Bonzai.

Who is Buckaroo Bonzai?

A rock star. A neurosurgeon. A cutting-edge physicist. An adventurer. He just does it all, with panache. He hopped from place to place, changing roles constantly. Showing up just in time to perform brain surgery, then jetting off to play with his rock band halfway across the globe. He had a worldwide network of friends who would help him out when needed.

When I call myself an artistic Buckaroo Bonzai, I do so with mock arrogance. I'm nowhere near as cool as the "real" Buckaroo Bonzai.

But I hope to be so someday.

No comments: