28 February 2006

How to be Creative

I recently stumbled upon www.gapingvoid.com. The author, Hugh Macleod seems like a great guy, and I've enjoyed reading his stuff.

He has an essay posted entitled "How to be Creative" that I highly recommend.

Here's a nice little excerpt:

"6. Everyone is born creative; everyone is given a box of crayons in kindergarten.

"Then when you hit puberty they take the crayons away and replace them with books on algebra etc. Being suddenly hit years later with the creative bug is just a wee voice telling you, 'I’d like my crayons back, please.'

"So you've got the itch to do something. [. . .] You don't know if you're any good or not, but you'd think you could be. And the idea terrifies you."

Great stuff.

He also has a neat bit about what he calls the "Global Microbrand." This gets to the heart of what I envision for The Felties. I've been calling it my "Global Media Mini-Empire" but the idea is the same. It's all tied into something called "The Long Tail."

No comments: