29 June 2006


Self-indulgent Blog Post Time!

My lovely wife did a new round of headshots yesterday, and it gets me thinking . . . I need new headshots.

I'm coming up on the one year anniversary of my last acting audition. I know, I know, it's not like I've been slacking off or anything. But I feel that surge in my solar plexus whenever I pass copies of Backstage West on the magazine rack that says "get your ass out there."

During the run of the last show I was in (Director's Cut), I was so ashamed of my headshot that I actually removed it from the foyer display when no one was looking. (Yes, Gabrielle, that was me.) I hate the thing. It makes me look about fifteen years older, and the shoot was such a pain in the ass -- you can see it on my face.

I was cast directly off the headshot once. Some indie film was shooting a horror flick in the desert, and their bad guy dropped out at the last minute. The director called me in a fluster and asked me if I was free for a week. He said "We'd like to use you ... I mean, you look just like Willem Dafoe!"


No offence to Mr. Dafoe, I think he's a great actor, but no one wants to be told they look like Willem Dafoe. And it must have had some truth to it, because I hadn't auditioned for these people, I just sent them my headshot and resume.

In person, people typically tell me I look like another celebrity:



I don't know ... he has a much stronger chin. But I hear it all the time. Back when he was dating J-Lo and making such well-received films as Jersey Girl, Daredevil and Surviving Christmas, it was a pain in the ass. Now it's just mildly annoying. I usually retort with "Yeah? And you look like Carol Channing!" but most folks don't remember who she is anymore.

What was my point? I don't know. I need new headshots.

No comments: